August 13, 2016

Catching Up...

Few things to catch up on!

I've been in a bit of a non writing mood, so now I get to do a catch up post...

First, anyone reading this, I hope you are doing well.

Using that Ancestry website, I was able to track my family (with a lot of work) back to the 1500's in Yorkshire, England. How cool is that? The Lawson family name goes a long, long ways... neat stuff!


The Olympics...

The USA gymn girls have done great!!!!!!!!!!!!! We qualified EIGHT POINTS ahead of the next opponent. That is insanity. Usually it's within a point or two.  Then... we won the Team Final TEN POINTS ahead of Russia and China. How crazy. It's too the point that even though I love we are so far ahead on skills to win, that the second through fifth places battle is more exciting to watch than first and second placings. At times I wish it was like the old days in the 80's and 90's when we didn't always win. Was much more thrilling when we did...yet somehow it's still so sweet...


The All Around competition (go on all four events, the tally of all four is what counts: vault, bars, beam, floor) was kind of the same way. You knew who'd be in first and second. Granted, they still had to go out there, and they still had to perform to expectations, but I wish the scores were tighter to make it a real race like it used to be. Regardless, Simone being three time world champ, it was nice to see her win; and Aly, after the tie breaker in London and her missing out on All Around bronze, I was thrilled to see her not just get a bronze but a silver medal! She made that goal in 2013 and by God she fucking did it, didn't she! No wonder why she was in tears, she busted ass for four more years, just to medal in the Olympic All Around. Good for her! <3 p="">
I've been seeing a lot of crap news stories, based on things like assumptions, personal interpretations and just, oh it looks like....  what a bunch of unequivocal BS...
Gabby has been just fine and done her own thing, leave her and the girls alone, hell they are barely adults! They are there for sport, not all the ridiculous side show crap... I wish all those 'armchair judges' and shit would just TRY to do ONE day of their training. I trained up to level NINE and let me tell you............ it's fucking harder than training for NFL football players. People have no idea. I burnt out on it, it's just THAT fucking hard....

Next...
I felt like a cooking day today.......... so I cooked today!  I received six summer squash from different people I know, so I decided to make a soup. First I put the squash (in two seperate times) in the oven to bake with just a bit of olive oil and seasoning for forty minutes on 375F. Then I baked an onion dipped in olive oil and a full thing of garlic as well. It all came out gorgous. I then stripped all the squash off and put it in a blender with the baked garlic. That was the soup base. I then added things like onion, fresh spinach, and other veggies to the mix. I then heated it all on simmer for two to three hours. Turned out AMAZING.
Then... I felt like a Chili. It's been a while since I made one. I had a pound of minced turkey of all things........... and thought............ yum lol. So I used the turkey, a bunch of fresh garden tomatoes and onions, some black beans, hot sauce, fresh garden jalopenos, dried whole chile, etc... and made what I call my Four Alarm Chili. Haven't made one since 2009. The fucker is good but HOT. Just eating it you'll lose two pounds lol. I love it :D
Let it simmer in the crock pot for FOUR hours......... yummy....
Now I'm off to have a bit of wine and bag up all the soups into individual meals. I have enough cooked and packaged (including stuff I made a few days ago) to survive an entire month without cooking :D
Yay for meal prep!
-M






1 comment:

Asia said...

That ancestry stuff is soooooo cool! Call me a nerd, whatever, but I get off on stuff like that something shocking. Is it the ancestry.com website? Did you have to pay? Because I tried it a couple years back but it came back with a paid subscription and I left it alone. I know kinda where my family came from, especially on my dad's side because grandma kept quite good records and we often talked about it as I always found it so interesting (they were nobles, hahahaha! and my mum's family - all peasants :P), but it would be great to look it all up regardless, I'm sure there would be stuff there I never knew.

As for the gymnastics, well, yeah, it was kind of obvious how that one was gonna go, and I love love love love everything that Simone is and stands for, but that Aly Raisman girl - DUDEEEE!! the strength of character and will!! when I was 16 I didn't pass my driving test (practical) and I was just about ready to give up on life, failed it 3 more times simply because I felt I CAN'T do it and I just gave up on it. I finally passed it the 5th time :P (but hey, here in Oz I passed on my first try at the age of 30. maturity, that's what it required :D) and only because the examiner gave me such simple tasks it was impossible to fail. and here she is, not much older than I was then, "failed" to get a medal and what does she do? goes right back to work and makes sure she's better prepared for next time. and to wait 4 years??? to have this patience and determination and to keep at it, and keep at it, and train year after year... it blows my mind. I don't think people put enough thought into it to understand what this girl has achieved. what it took. teenagers, young people, are all about instant gratification and this girl worked so damn hard for a POSSIBLE maybe success in years time... wow. I totally cried with her. she is amazing. and her parents squirming in their seats was so hilarious :D but I'd be much worse if I were them :D

and finally, the food. yum. but what in the world is a squash? I keep hearing about it, apparently some people use it as a meat substitute? to me it looks like a weird pumpkin, but what does it taste like? I'm not a pumpkin fan so I'm reluctant to try it but everyone seems to be eating it and I'd hate to be missing out on something good...