August 24, 2016

Fucking Drivers...

Okay not all drivers but still!

Not long ago, I was walking. I was walking along Main St. here in town and I was starting to cross 5th street. I looked all four ways because I know better. Then I started to cross. About half way across, a car turned from Main St. onto 5th...never even saw me. Missed me by less than five inches. It really freaked me out at the time. I flipped the person off and was yelling, but I don't think they ever noticed I was there.  This...is what it's like to be a pedestrian who doesn't drive and walks almost everywhere. You have to have your eyes going 360 at every intersection, but even then it's not always enough.



I got a bit emotional watching a medical show from Britian. Normally I love medical and trauma shows, no problem. But there was an episode with a 12 year old who did the same thing I did....except he was 3/4 of the way across when the van turned...hit him straight on. Ugh. Poor kid was so short his head smashed into the hood of the van. *shudders*  I kept thinking about my recent incident and it made me really sympathetic and then seeing this 12 year old sobbing...just pulled at my heart.

I know most drivers look before they turn...but some are in such a rush and they just go, don't look until after they've turned. Really not good. There are always people walking and always crossing roads, we can only see so much at a time. We can look...but in that .8th/second is all it takes for someone to turn without looking. You just can't prepare for that.  Glad to see the kid was mostly okay at the end, but he had some permanent issues. Sucks :(  Makes me even more aware than I already am and probably more paranoid as well! I have Medicare but I don't want to use it.... Oi!! Even smaller communities they seem to drive and turn too fast!

-M

No comments: